Saturday, August 8, 2009

Critique notes from Sam

The following is a copy of the critique notes provided by my animation mentor Sam Ewing, who is a 2D animation course director at Full Sail University. These notes are in no way edited or changed. It is a direct copy and paste of the email he sent me. In regards to a request I put in for him to critique my FOA final project animation.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey Robert,
I looked at "Well, how unfortunate" and I don't believe it's as bad as you say. Okay, a couple of things crossed my mind as I watched it.
I would like to suggest fewer cuts or no cuts at all. I don't think you need to add excitement with these frantic cuts at this point (especially as he opens up). Seems to me this is a time to let your audience get comfortable and get to know what they are looking at. Something is being revealed here, satisfy audience curiosity.
Also, more overlap on the "legs" as they are opened, take your time there and let us see it happening, it looks interesting and now you have to make entertaining. Maybe the little guy has some slight difficulty with one of his legs? Building empathy and adding humour.
The flying seems pretty good, nice path of action. If, as it seems, he uses his "legs" as wings, then please add more flap to them. More stroke, perhaps as if he were under water?
The ending I found felt too rushed. You have his "leg" and his antenna structure doing their business at the same time. Overlap demands that we do one thing at a time. Also, I may as well mention it, why have him crash at all? Why not end with him in flight? More beautiful and positive.
That's all I really saw that's worth mentioning at this point.
Keep up the good work, Robert.
Regards,
Sam
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I would just like to add, thank you very much Sam for all of your help. And your continuing efforts to helping me and mentoring me in becoming an animator. I appreciate it to a unfathomable degree. I hope that you can continue to check out the progress on my blog and that I can continue meeting with you.
Thanks

No comments:

Post a Comment